Below are this week’s alerts for the Investment Network. Enjoy!
This Issue’s Topics:
- JOB OPPORTUNITY: Meeder Investment Management: Operational Risk and Investments Compliance Manager
- ABA Whitepaper Update: Digital and Digitized Assets: Federal and State Jurisdictional Issues
- FREE: Women in ETFs (WE): Global Virtual Conference
- ICI Webinar: Understanding and Implementing the SEC’s New Fair Value Rules
- ACG: Joint Chapter Virtual Networking
Meeder Investment Management: Operational Risk and Investments Compliance Manager
This broadly focused operational and compliance risk management position is a newly-created, highly visible position reporting directly to Meeder’s Chief Operating Officer and the firm’s Chief Compliance Officer. The successful candidate will provide enterprise-wide risk management and trading compliance oversight of the firm’s operational, trading, and investment functions. This includes setting compliance and risk mitigation standards and ensuring that a robust framework is in place to proactively manage operational, trading, and compliance risks. The successful candidate ideally will be experienced with trading systems and their rules engines and develop suitable methods of monitoring and testing to ensure compliance with regulatory and organizational policies and procedures.
Specifically, the Operational Risk and Compliance Manager will be responsible for:
- Working with the Investments Operations team to develop the trade and portfolio compliance monitoring program utilizing the Charles River Development and Envestnet systems and their reporting capabilities.
- Performing pre- and post- trade portfolio compliance functions for mutual funds and separately managed accounts in various lines of business, including Meeder Funds, Public Funds, Wealth Management, and Private Wealth Management.
- Utilizing the firm’s portfolio and order management systems to develop, execute, and deliver overarching risk metrics, analyses, and related reports.
- Undertake testing to assess the effectiveness of trade and portfolio compliance systems throughout the year and assist with the annual risk assessment.
- Working closely with various business lines to enhance trading and operational policies and procedures.
- Leading investigations into trade errors and related remediation and enhancement processes.
Required Education and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 3-5 years experiences in a risk management, internal control, or compliance role in the asset management industry.
- Highly independent professional with the ability and desire to build and enhance various operational trading risk and compliance processes.
- Proficient in the functionality of risk and compliance tools within order management and portfolio management systems. Experience with Charles River and Envestnet is a plus.
- Strong analytical skills, attention to detail and ability to exercise balanced judgment and decision making.
- Excellent communication and ability to manage competing priorities.
- Comfortable dealing with portfolio managers, traders, compliance and leadership personnel within an asset management firm.
- Highly proficient understanding and use of Microsoft Excel and various compliance and risk technology tools. Experience with PowerBI is a plus.
If you are interested in this opportunity, contact Tim McCabe at tmccabe@MeederInvestment.com.
ABA Whitepaper Update: Digital and Digitized Assets: Federal and State Jurisdictional Issues
The ABA Whitepaper Update: Digital and Digitized Assets: Federal and State Jurisdictional Issues White Paper, and the March 2019 version that it updates, were prepared by members of the Jurisdiction Working Group of the Innovative Digitized Products and Processes Subcommittee (IDPPS) and their colleagues. The Whitepaper seeks to provide a comprehensive explanation of federal and state laws that may apply to the creation, offer, uses, and trading of digital assets in the United States, along with summaries of key initiatives outside the United States. The White Paper also recommends an analytic framework for considering potential issues of jurisdictional overlap between the Commodity Futures Trading Commission and the Securities and Exchange Commission under the separate federal statutes they each are responsible for administering.
Contributing authors included Ruth Epstein, John Baker and Nicole Kalajian of Stradley Ronon.
To read more, click here.
FREE: Women in ETFs (WE): Global Virtual Conference
January 26-27, 2021
January marks the 7th anniversary of Women in ETFs (WE) and to celebrate WE will be hosting their first annual Global Virtual Conference. Running across two days, January 26-27, this virtual event will offer a series of fireside chats and panel discussions with over 30 industry leaders from around the globe. There will also be virtual bell ringing at Nasdaq, the London Stock Exchange, and the Toronto Stock Exchange.
- Next Generation of the ETF Industry
- Market and Economic Outlooks
- Accelerating the Pace of Diversity
- Leading from the Future
- Susan Chan of BlackRock
- Marie Chandoha of State Street Corporation
- Gregory Davis of Vanguard
- Henry Fernandez of MSCI
- Suni Harford of UBS Group, AG
- Jenny Johnson of Franklin Resources, Inc.
- Kristi Mitchem of BMO Global Asset Management
- Anna Paglia of Invesco
- Liz Ann Sonders of Charles Schwab & Co.
- Shundrawn Thomas of Northern Trust
For more information, click here.
ICI Webinar: Understanding and Implementing the SEC’s New Fair Value Rules
Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 1:00-2:00 P.M. CDT
The new fair value rules from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) are the most significant regulatory development affecting funds’ fair value practices in 50 years. ICI’s webinar will provide an overview of the new rules, the policy impetus behind them, and how fund complexes are beginning to implement them. The webinar will explore:
- The rules’ requirements
- How fund complexes will consider allocating fair value responsibilities among fund boards, investment advisers, and other parties
- How existing fair value policies and practices will be reviewed and updated
- How reporting to fund boards will change
- How auditing practices might change
- How the rules and related guidance will affect cross trading
- Matthew Thornton of ICI
- Bob Grohowski of T. Rowe Price
- Brian McLaughlin Johnson of SEC
- Gregory Smith of ICI
- Stacie Smith of Fidelity Investments
For more information, click here.
ACG: Joint Chapter Virtual Networking
Tuesday, February 9, 2021, 12:30-1:30 P.M. CDT
ACG Chicago and ACG Los Angeles invite you to an exclusive networking event featuring M&A professionals from two of ACG’s premiere chapters! Attendees will rotate through three 15-minute breakout rooms to meet with colleagues, connect with new contacts, and refresh their professional network.
We all look forward to the return of in-person events. In the meantime, take advantage of your current ACG membership and get involved!
Free to ACG Members! Non-Members are welcome to attend at $15
For more information, click here.