Below are this week’s alerts for the Investment Network. Enjoy!
This Issue’s Topics:
- REMINDER: FREE: Digital Assets Working Group Meeting: What Capital Funders are Looking for in Tomorrow’s Blockchain Revolutions
- PAABC March Cybersecurity Event
- IDC Webinar: Board Oversight of Fund Performance Relative to Benchmarks and Peer Groups
- VENUE CHANGE: FREE: Chicago SRI/ESG – Impact Considerations in Private Equity
- Chicago Kent School of Law: A Tribute to Dean Krent
- ACG Chicago’s 20th Annual Capital Connection
REMINDER: FREE: Digital Assets Working Group Meeting: What Capital Funders are Looking for in Tomorrow’s Blockchain Revolutions
Thursday, March 14, 2019, 4:15-5:00 PM (networking reception follows)
Stradley Ronon, 191 N. Wacker Dr., 10th Floor Conference Center Room B, Chicago, IL
The Speakers include Saurabh Sharma from Jump Capital, Douglas McConnell from Vissant Capital Corporation and Dan Patterson from Polynexus Capital. The Moderator is Nicole Kalajian from Stradley Ronon.
PAABC March Cybersecurity Event
Thursday, March 21, 2019, 6:00-8:30 PM
Chicago – Kent School of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology, 565 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL
Join us for a panel discussion on financial losses and data compromise due to cryptocurrency trading/crypto jacking/cryptocurrency mining. Panel members will be: Henry Balani of Blockchain Advisory Institute, Mustafa Maqbool of Blockchain Advisory Institute, Bill Shipley of Illinois Institute of Technology, Zach Smolinski (Moderator) of Smolinski Rosario Law and Peter Tapling of Spring Labs.
To register, please click here.
IDC Webinar: Board Oversight of Fund Performance Relative to Benchmarks and Peer Groups
Thursday, March 28, 2019, 1:00-2:00 PM
This webinar will feature a robust discussion with industry experts and will help both newer and more experienced directors to:
- appreciate the rationale for a benchmark selection and why a fund’s portfolio structure may differ from that of the benchmark;
- understand the reasons why and under what circumstances a fund’s returns will differ from that of a benchmark or peer group;
- assess the ways portfolio managers have added value through active management;
- analyze the effect of benchmark modifications or rebalancing on a fund’s portfolio structure and characteristics; and
- measure a fund’s risk, volatility and other characteristics relative to a benchmark.
The speakers will be: Jon Zeschin of Matthews Asia Funds, Jeff Keil of Keil Fiduciary Strategies LLC, and Tom Waldof of Transamerica Asset Management, Inc.
You will have the opportunity before and during the webinar to submit questions. Register today to join the discussion and learn more about this important topic. To register, click here.
VENUE CHANGE: FREE: Chicago SRI/ESG – Impact Considerations in Private Equity
Monday, April 1, 2019, 7:45-9:30 AM
Morningstar, 22 W. Washington St., 7th Floor, Chicago, IL
Our discussion will explore how and why private equity investors are (or are not) integrating impact and ESG considerations into their investment process. There are unique characteristics of this asset class, particularly the influence and long-duration of investments, that make considering a broader set of issues that may play out over a longer timeframe relevant. However, this trend is very nascent, though growing, and there is a lot of debate about funds’ intentions and strategies.
- Who in private equity is looking at ESG and impact?
- How is this space growing and evolving?
- Which ESG and impact themes are most relevant? Which are not?
- How are managers incorporating these themes into their investment thesis?
Speakers will be: Michelle Huang from Generation Investment Management, Priya Parrish from The Impact Engine, and Jonathan Samuels from The Vistria Group.
Proceed to the conference space on the lower level via the escalators in the main lobby. Please RSVP via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chicago Kent School of Law: A Tribute to Dean Krent
Friday, April 12, 2019, 5:30 PM. VIP Reception, 6:00-8:00 PM
The Dalcy, 203 N. Green Street, 3rd Floor, Chicago, IL
At the end of this academic year, Hal Krent’s term as Dean of Chicago-Kent College of Law will end. As a way to express our gratitude for Hal’s 17 years of extraordinary service, we invite you to join the Host Committee for a celebration of his service on Friday, April 12.
Proceeds from the event support the Harold J. Krent Tribute Fund, an endowed fund to recruit and retain exceptional faculty. When the fund reaches $1 million, Chicago-Kent will name the Harold J. Krent Endowed Professor.
Purchase your own tickets today at www.alumni.kentlaw.iit.edu/KrentTribute.
Please register by March 29.
ACG Chicago’s 20th Annual Capital Connection
Tuesday-Wednesday, May 21-22, 2019
The Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile, 540 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL
The ACG Chicago Capital Connection is the premier networking event in the Midwest for companies in all facets of corporate growth and middle market deal making. This event provides the opportunity for deal makers to meet and greet with leading capital providers and investment bankers.
Register soon – the price increases March 15th. For more information, click here.